Pages

Monday, November 19, 2012

Character Movement Research

During the lectures I designed a standard robot in 3ds max and tested some small movements after I linked each part with the correct order from toes to head. The hard part comes now though since the movement must be smooth and same for each move the robot does so it can be more realistic and professional. The first solution is to move it manually on each frame I want it to move and then modify the coordinates on XYZ axis for the left and right parts of the robot. That's not that wise in my honest opinion since it will take ages for all the movements for one whole minute. Imagine a robot walking, running, jumping, greeting and everything. It is too much, isn't it ?
I could use the standard biped model from 3ds max presets and build my robot on it but it is prohibited as I was told since they want to see my ability to build it, move it and so on.
I can remember my teachers saying so many times that we won't need to re-discover everything, but we can't copy-paste everything too. The way to succeed in every creative pathway is to use the best information that's already in front of our eyes and create something better from it.


After thiking all that, I came up with a solution:
  • I will create my robot with the width height and everything I want. 
  • I will create a preset biped with exactly the same dimensions.
  • I will hide my robot and use that easy and fast way to create perfect and smooth footsteps, movements and so on.
  • I will place marks, write down coordinates(if needed), etc
  • I will delete the biped.
  • I will unhide my robot and use the marks so I can have the same results.
On the other hand, if I want more specific movement types for my robots, that's another story. That will be decided from the story I will choose.
Finally here is a very helpfull sketch I have found on google that I also drew on my sketchbook.


 This is very usefull not only for the leg position but you can see the waist, spine and head position too.